This chickpea (garbanzo bean) soup is filled with flavors of bacon, garlic, rosemary and at the same time nutty taste and grainy texture. It’s finished with a splash of extra virgin olive oil.
Chickpeas is a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber and for it’s protein content is an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets.
For a bit of crunch in the soup I made homemade croutons made from my favorite grain free buns. The soup is healthy, filling, and done in just 30 minutes! You can use Eden organic chickpeas in the can that is already pressure cooked instead of pressure cooking your own.
Lectin-free (phase 3)
- Heat a pot with oil and add 3 diced slices of bacon.
- Add the garlic and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add bay leaf and 1 spring of rosemary, fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chickpea without the liquid.
- Add boiling water or vegetable broth so the liquid is 1 inch above the chickpeas.
- Bring to a boil and boil covered on low for 15-20 minutes.
- On a small pan heat a little bit of oil, fry 1 remaining slice of bacon with 1 spring of rosemary.
- When the soup is finished, turn the heat off and remove bay leaf and rosemary from the soup. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour half of the soup into a separate bowl and blend with an immersion hand blender until creamy.
- Return back to the pot and stir.
- Serve with roasted bacon, rosemary, a little bit of EVOO, and croutons.