I have created this bun recipe after numerous tries, mixing different flours with other ingredients. They are the best I have made so far! It tastes almost like whole wheat buns without wheat or grains and the texture is soft yet dense. Use them for hamburgers, sandwiches, or toasts. Try making them and let me know if you like them as much as I do!
For approximately 7-8 buns:
- 1 1/2 cups arrowroot flour
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup walnut or hazelnut flour (ground walnuts or hazelnuts)
- 1/2 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup psyllium husks
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2/3 cup warmer water
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- Hulled Sesame Seeds or Hemp Hearts for garnish
- 1 egg for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a baking tray with avocado or coconut oil.
- Add all dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix.
- Add avocado oil, water, vinegar, honey, and whisked eggs.
- Mix thoroughly to form firm dough. The dough will be a little sticky, but you should be able to form a bun in your hands. If it is too sticky, add a little bit more of almond flour or scoop the dough with 1/3 cup scoops onto a baking tray and then shape it into a bun.
- Make the wash. Whisk one egg with a fork in a cup and spread it with a brush over the buns.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds or hemp hearts on top of the buns .
- Place the tray with the buns into a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven and allow to cool down before serving.
Note: You can store the buns up to a day loosely covered at room temperature, or slice them in half and freeze them for later use. After thawing, gently reheat them in a toaster oven or toaster.