Zucchini with Halloumi cheese made into patties is such a great mix combining plant nutritionally rich ingredients with protein and calcium rich ingredients.
What is Halloumi?
Halloumi originating in Cyprus, is a semi-hard, unripe salty cheese with high melting point and is typically made from goat’s, sheep’s, and sometimes cow’s milk. When choosing Halloumi and you are sensitive to cow’s milk, make sure to read the ingredients first and buy one containing only sheep’s and goat’s milk with casein 2 that is easier on digestion. I found original Halloumi cheese from Cyprus, containing only sheep’s milk in a local Lidl supermarket.
Halloumi is rich in calcium and animal protein, but high in sodium for it’s salty taste, therefore when used in recipes there is usually no need to use additional salt.
Additional ingredients you will need to make the patties:
- Cassava flour
- Arrowroot flour
- Baking powder
- Sesame seeds
- Freshly ground black or mixed pepper
- Fresh mint or parsley leaves
- Avocado oil
Zucchini Halloumi Patties
For 10-12 patties
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled, deseeded and grated
- 2 Tbsp Cassava Flour
- 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Hulled Sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsps mint or parsley leaves, finely cut
- 5 Tbsp Halloumi, grated
- 2 large eggs
- 2 springs of scallion, finely cut
- Avocado oil for frying
- Coconut Aminos for dipping (optional)
- Peel, deseed, and grate the zucchini. Add 1/2 tsp salt, mix and transfer into a strainer. Leave there for 30 minutes to remove excess water.
- After 30 minutes press out any excess water and transfer the zucchini into a mixing bowl. Add Cassava flour, Arrowroot flour, baking powder, sesame seeds, and pepper. Mix with zucchini.
- Finely cut the mint or parsley leaves. Grate Halloumi cheese and add into the mixing bowl with zucchini. Lightly mix together.
- Whisk the eggs with fork in a cup, finely cut the scallion and mix with the rest of the ingredients. A thicker dough forms.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan with a thick bottom with 1 Tbsp of Avocado oil.
- For each patty add 2 Tbsp of the dough and flatten a little. Fry on one side for a few minutes until golden brown, flip and fry on the other side until golden brown.
- Transfer on a plate with paper towel to absorb the oil.
- Serve with boiled sweet potatoes, fresh green leaves and coconut aminos (optional). Enjoy!