I love the dough for this pizza, it’s the best gluten-free, lectin-free, grain-free pizza I have tried so far! The dough is easy to work with and the crust is thin and crunchy.
Ingredients you will need to achieve perfect crust:
Bob’s Red Mill Cassava Flour (this flour makes thicker consistency then other brands), avocado oil, eggs, water, honey, active dry yeast, and salt.
How to proof the yeast:
In a mug, dissolve the honey into ¼ cup very warm water. The honey will cool the water a little, so you should end up with warm water. Warm water will make it develop much, much faster, but HOT water will kill it so make sure you’ve hit that sweet spot before adding your yeast. Sprinkle yeast on top and mix in. Allow to sit until it gets nice and frothy on top and doubles in size. This can take 5-20 minutes depending on the yeast batch.
While the yeast is proofing you mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Combine dry end wet ingredients together and add the proofed yeast. Finally knead the dough. You should end up with a firm dough to be able to roll it, if not, add more flour.
For two dinner plate size pies:
- 2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill Cassava Flour (this flour makes thicker consistency then other brands).
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 3 eggs, preferably room temperature
- ¼ cup very warm water plus 1/4 cup warm water, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 packet of active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450 ° F. In a mug, dissolve the honey into ¼ cup very warm water. Sprinkle yeast on top and mix in. Allow to sit until it gets nice and frothy on top and doubles in size.
- While that is “proofing” combine your Cassava flour and salt in your mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk your eggs and avocado oil together with a fork.
- Add the egg mixture, remaining 1/4 cup of warm water, and proofed yeast into dry ingredients and knead with your hands to make a firm dough.
- Cut the dough in half to make two small round pies.
- On a piece of parchment paper press the dough firmly first with your hands and then finish with a roller. If the dough is sticking to the roller, add some flour on top of the dough.
- Place your hand under the parchment paper and carefully flip the dough on previously oiled baking sheet. You will finish with the parchment paper on top. Remove the paper.
- Fold the edges of the pie inwards a little bit to create a crust. Add your favorite sauce & toppings. Spray edge with avocado oil to give it a nice golden-brown color!
- Bake for 15-20 mins until outer edge & bottom crust are golden brown. Keep in mind that bake times will vary depending on how thick you’ve decided to keep your crust.
- Remove from the oven and slice. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Otto’s Naturals