Zucchini is a summer squash, but it is easily accessible all year round. Additionally, it is budget-friendly. You can make delicious meals with it like this baked zucchini parmigiana that is lectin-free (phase 3) with skin and seeds removed and gluten-free.
How I made Grain-Free Zucchini Parmigiana
First I baked zucchini previously dipped in egg and grain-free breading made of almond flour, flax meal, and grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese then made a layer with the zucchini and sprinkled a little more of the breading on top. Then I covered it with a marinade made with Pomi tomato sauce (I made my marinade with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper). Then I did the same with the second layer and topped it with fresh cilantro and slices of Manchego sheep cheese. Bake it until the zucchini is soft and the cheese is nice and brown.
Zucchini Nutritional Benefits
Zucchini is rich in manganese, lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamins A and C – nutrients that contribute to healthy vision and may lower your risk of age-related eye conditions.
- 3 medium zucchini, peeled, deseeded, and thinly sliced.
- 2 eggs, beaten.
- For the breadcrumbs mixture: 1 cup almond flour, 1 cup flax seed meal, 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- 2 cups Pomi tomato sauce made into marinade (boiled with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper until fragrant, then remove the thyme).
- Few slices of Manchego sheep cheese.
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Dip zucchini slices in egg, then in bread crumbs mixture. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven for 5 minutes on each side.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with compliant oil. Place a layer of zucchini slices in the dish. Sprinkle with more bread crumbs mixture. Cover with half of the tomato marinade. Repeat the steps with the remaining ingredients, sprinkle cilantro on top of marinade, and layer the Manchego slices on the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until golden brown.