Okra, the nutritious wonder, is a fruit containing not only fiber but also protein, which is very rare for a fruit or vegetable! It is a great lectin blocker containing a lot of vitamins and minerals like C, K1, A, B6, magnesium, folate, and polyphenols.
Okra also contains a thick gel-like substance called mucilage, which can bind to cholesterol during digestion; therefore, it lowers the risk of heart disease!
I made okra by sautéing it on ghee with garlic and salt. Finally, I topped it with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. For the vegan version sprinkle with nutritional yeast instead.
It’s great by itself and makes for a nice appetizer or snack.
For a filling main dish, you can combine it with your favorite grain-free pasta.
For approximately 2 servings:
- 1 pack of okra (about 12)
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 5 cloves garlic
- Sea salt
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (nutritional yeast for vegan version)
- Wash the okra, cut off the end with the stem, and cut in half lengthwise.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat with ghee, add the okra.
- Let it cook for about 5 minutes, add pressed garlic and salt, turn and cook for another 5 minutes on the other side or until soft and lightly brown.
- Finally cover with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese or nutritional yeast and mix.
- Serve as is or over your favorite grain-free pasta with olive oil.