This is a takeout-inspired recipe for a lectin-free and gluten-free Sesame Chicken made with just a few simple ingredients.
There’s nothing better than homemade chicken tossed in sweet, garlicky sesame sauce. But wait, how can we achieve the flavor without the soy sauce?! It is indeed possible, all thanks to simply swapping soy sauce with coconut aminos!
Not only adults, but kids will love this combo of bite-size chicken pieces and addicting sesame sauce that’s both sweet and tangy in every bite. The best part is, it’s on the dinner table in less than 40 minutes!
For The Chicken:
- Avocado oil for frying
- 1 Lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
For The Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup allulose or monkfruit sweetener
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour, mixed with 2 Tbsp water
- Hulled sesame seeds, for serving
Make The Chicken:
- Trim any fat from the chicken thighs and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
- Add flour and salt in a sealable plastic bag. Add the chicken in the bag, press out any air then seal the bag shut. Shake the bag until the chicken pieces are coated on all sides.
- Preheat a generous amount of avocado oil in a frying pan.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the bag and shake off any excess flour.
- Add the chicken pieces into the warm oil and fry them on one side until nice and golden then flip and fry on the other side. Add more oil while frying, if needed. You can also cover the pan for a while so the chicken pieces are nice and soft. While the chicken is frying, make the sauce.
Make The Sauce:
- In a small saucepan set over medium-low heat, add the avocado oil and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut aminos, white wine vinegar, sesame oil, and sweetener. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil then stir in the tapioca mixture and boil until the sauce has thickened enough, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add it to the sauce. Stir the chicken in the sauce to cover it from all sides. Garnish the chicken with sesame seeds and serve over pressure cooked basmati rice (phase 3), pressure cooked quinoa (phase 3), or cauliflower rice.