Another one of my favorite dishes! This Vegetable Lasagna is made on the barbecue, but it also can be made in the oven.
This is a combination of sweet potatoes, red onion, brussel sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, and broccoli rabe with whisked eggs and organic heavy cream poured over it and topped with melted Manchego cheese.
It’s a perfect meal for the whole family with leftovers. For the dairy free version, sub heavy cream with coconut milk or almond milk and skip the cheese on top or use a non-dairy cheese version.
For a large baking dish (I used 12″x16.5″):
- 5-6 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 handfuls of brussels sprouts
- 1 pack of asparagus
- 1 pack of organic portabella mushrooms
- 2 red onions
- Bunch of broccoli rabe
- 6 pasture-raised or omega-3 eggs
- 1 cup of organic heavy cream or other non-dairy milk such as coconut or almond.
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Manchego cheese or other compliant cheese of your choice
- Avocado oil for the baking dish
- Preheat oven or barbecue to 400°F.
- Clean and slice sweet potatoes, red onion, mushrooms, and brussel sprouts. Wash the asparagus and remove the hard parts.
- Generously oil the baking dish.
- Add a layer of sweet potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Add brussel sprouts, mushrooms, onion, and asparagus.
- Cover and bake for about 20 minutes or until the veggies are almost soft.
- Whisk the eggs with heavy cream, a little bit more salt, pepper, and 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- Uncover the baking dish and pour the egg mixture over the veggies.
- Place uncovered back in the barbecue/oven and bake for another 20 minutes or until the eggs are firm and not runny.
- Grate the cheese. Place broccoli rabes on top of the veggies and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for another 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted.