It is possible to make breaded meals even on a grain-free diet! You can use any grain-free flour and mix it with spices of your choice together with some seeds for a crunch. It is better to dip the pieces first into an egg and then into the breading mixture, this way the breading sticks better, but if you are on an egg free diet, you can skip the egg and place it directly into the breading.
I made this Breaded Cauliflower for the Super Bowl, but it can be made any time of the year.
The secret of this mouth watering, crispy cauliflower is in the “breading”. I mixed mine using Tigernut flour, but Cassava or Almond flour can also be used. Eggs are optional! You can omit cayenne pepper, if you don’t like spicy food.
- One medium cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Tigernut flour
- 1/2 cup hempseeds
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Avocado Oil
- Wash and cut the cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
- Steam them in the steaming pot first, until soft but firm, (about 15 min). Be careful not to over cook the cauliflower.
- In the meantime mix the flour with all the spices in a mixing bowl.
- Next, dip each steamed piece of cauliflower into a whisked egg (optional) and then into the breading mixture, coating each piece on all sides.
- Fry the cauliflower from all sides on medium heat in avocado oil, then transfer to a dish with paper towel to absorb the oil.
- Serve with any dipping of your choice. I served mine with homemade Tartar sauce and Mashed Parsnip.