This Four Grain Sandwich Bread is a quick lectin-free/gluten-free compliant bread made from ancient grain flours, sorghum, millet, teff, and fonio. If you like soft and fragrant bread for sandwiches, this is a great fit for you!
About the Flours
Both Millet and Sorghum belong to a grass family and they are nutrient-rich cereal grains containing vitamins B, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and zinc. Teff is the smallest gluten-free grain in the world originated in North Africa and has a light, nutty flavor. Fonio is the smallest member of the millet family also grown locally in arid regions of Africa. Fonio is valued for its versatility and ease of preparation and can be found at every meal in forms ranging from porridge to bread.
This bread contains an equal part of sorghum and millet flours and also a little bit of teff and fonio flours. The Four Grain Sandwich Bread is free from eggs, nuts, sugar, yeast, and oil and therefore is suitable for vegans. You probably wonder what is the binding agent in this bread? It’s a gel-like substance made from Psyllium Husks. Psyllium is a form of fiber also known as prebiotic — a substance needed for healthy colonies of probiotics to grow in the gut and is a bulk-forming laxative.
Four Grain Sandwich Bread (gluten-free, lectin-free, vegan)
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup millet flour
- 1/4 cup teff flour (can be replaced with buckwheat flour)
- 1/4 cup fonio flour (can be replaced with ground flaxseeds)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 and 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon
- 1/3 cup whole psyllium husks (not a powder)
- Everything but the bagel seasoning mix to sprinkle on the top of dough
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a 9″x5″ loaf baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the millet, sorghum, teff or buckwheat, and fonio or ground flaxseed flours, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt until well combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk the water, vinegar, and psyllium husks until blended. Let stand for about 5 minutes until gel-like consistency forms.
- Add the psyllium mixture to the flour mixture and using a wooden spoon or your hands, carefully mix to combine all the ingredients into a thick dough.
- Moist your hands and shape the dough into a loaf shape to fit the loaf pan. Place in the prepared greased pan. Smooth the top and round the sides using moist hands. Optionally sprinkle with seed mixture like Everything but the bagel seasoning.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes until the surface appears pale golden brown, dry and crusty. The bread will sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool in the pan, on a cooling rack, for 15 minutes then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely on the cooling rack before slicing.
Storage: Store the bread in an airtight container at a cool room temperature for up to 2 days, then refrigerate for up to one week or freeze for up to 6 months.
SHARE WHAT YOU MAKE
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a rating on this recipe and leave a comment, take a photo and, tag me on Instagram with @jarkashealingkitchen. I love sharing what you make with the community. I can’t wait to see!