These Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Dairy-Free Strawberry Frosting are a delicious healthy treat for your Valentine, or any special occasion.
The cupcakes are so chocolaty and moist thanks to the avocado and cocoa combination and sweet just enough thanks to a low-calorie 100% natural Yacon syrup that can be replaced with honey. They are made with almond flour and therefore are also gluten-free. The strawberry frosting is made from real strawberries, dairy-free buttercream, and powdered sweetener.
Ingredients you will need to make these Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Dairy-Free Strawberry Frosting:
- Avocados – Use medium-ripe avocados for best results.
- Eggs – Choose pastured or Omega-3 eggs.
- Yacon syrup or Raw honey – If you read my blog post about sugar, you already know about these two sweeteners. Yacon syrup has 1/2 the calories of regular sugar and is rich in prebiotics. Honey is also a lower-calorie sweetener with other great health benefits.
- Cocoa powder – When choosing cocoa powder, choose organic Non-Dutch pure cocoa.
- Almond flour – Always use flour from blanched almonds.
- Vanilla extract – Choose pure vanilla extract from real vanilla beans, not vanilla-infused flavor.
- Baking soda – Always choose organic food-grade baking soda.
- Salt – I prefer Celtic salt for the mineral content, or Himalayan salt.
- Shortening – This will be used for dairy-free buttercream frosting. Use shortening made only from Red Palm Oil or a combination of Red Palm Oil and Coconut Oil. For the dairy version, use softened butter.
- Powdered sweetener – Although both of these sweeteners contain Erythritol, I prefer Swerve powdered sweetener rather than Monk Fruit because it also contains oligosaccharides (inulin) prebiotics.
- Freeze-dried strawberries – These will be used to make a powder for the frosting. I found them in Trader Joe’s, but Whole Foods also carries them or you can find them online.
- Non-dairy milk – We will use a little bit of unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk.
*This post contains affiliate links, if you choose to purchase something via one of my links I get a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Dairy-Free Strawberry Frosting
For 6 cupcakes:
- 1-1/2 avocados, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Yacon syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Either place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth or mash the avocado with a fork and then using a hand mixer, mix all the ingredients together.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and using a spoon fill them up with the dough.
- Place in a preheated oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until done.
- Cool completely before adding frosting.
While the cupcakes cool, prepare the frosting. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, whip together the shortening or softened butter with the powdered Swerve. Add the strawberry powder and 3 teaspoons of the almond or coconut milk, adding a bit more if needed. Mix until the frosting is smooth.
Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, use a frosting decorating kit to frost the tops of the cupcakes. Store the cupcakes in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!
SHARE WHAT YOU MAKE
If you make this recipe, please let me know! Leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating on this recipe below and leave a comment, take a photo and, tag me on Instagram @jarkashealingkitchen. I love sharing what you make with the community. I can’t wait to see!