Have you decided on what Thanksgiving salad to serve yet?! This kale salad is full of tempting contrasts of flavors and textures. The earthiness of the kale, the creaminess of the avocado, and the juiciness of the grapefruits splashed with EVOO dressing made with grapefruit juice, a little bit of honey, and basil.
It is impressive not only at first sight but also thanks to the content of vitamins and other beneficial substances which we need during winter months.
Kale Salad with Grapefruit, Avocado, and Walnuts
- First, add cold water to a pot and bring to a boil with a little bit of salt.
- Wash the kale and separate the leaves from the stem. Cut them into bite-sized pieces.
- When the water starts to boil, add the kale leaves and boil for exactly 1 minute, then immediately remove the kale from hot water and rinse under cold water.
- Dry the leaves either in a salad spinner or with a paper towel.
- Mix the leaves with 1 Tbsp of EVOO.
- Peel the grapefruit, separate each part from the skin letting the juice drip into a bowl.
- Lay the grapefruit pieces on the kale leaves.
- Slice the avocado in half with a knife, remove the seed, and the skin. Cut into thin slices and add to the salad.
- For the dressing, mix 4 Tbsp of EVOO with 3 Tbsp of juice from the grapefruit, add honey, salt, and pepper. Whisk. Cut the basil leaves and stir into the dressing.
- Pour the dressing on the salad.
- Roast the walnuts on a dry frying pan for a few minutes until you smell them. Cut them into smaller pieces and sprinkle on top of the salad.