Meatballs are a classic recipe and I believe everyone has made some version of meatballs in their kitchen.
My meatball recipe is a basic version of meatballs made in a grain-free, dairy-free way using just eight simple ingredients and 15 minutes of preparation time. Then they are baked on a lined baking pan while you prepare the sauce. The great thing about meatballs is they are freezer-friendly and can save you time during busy weekday nights.
I like to make the sauce for the meatballs with hidden veggies in it, this way I know my family is getting some extra nutrients in their meal and the great thing about it is they don’t even know. During fall, I like to make fragrant dishes and I use Pumpkin Pie Spice a lot in my baked and non-baked recipes. It pairs well with this meatball sauce and gives it a nice fall flavor.
All you need to make this recipe:
- Grass-fed ground beef
- Almond flour
- Coconut milk
- Worcestershire sauce
- Small onion
- Strained tomato sauce such as Pomi
- Celery root
- Bone broth or water
- Salt and Pepper
- Sweetener of your choice such as Monkfruit or Allulose
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
Classic Meatballs with Pumpkin Pie Spice Sauce
For the Meatballs:
Makes 24 meatballs
- 1 lb lean (at least 80%) grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 pastured or omega-3 egg
For the Sauce:
- 1 strained tomato sauce (17.64 oz, 500g)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 medium parsnip
- 1/4 celeriac root
- 1 qt (4 cups) bone or vegetable broth or water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp sweetener (Allulose or Monkfruit)
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 13×9-inch pan with foil; spray with avocado oil.
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. Shape mixture into 24 (1 1/2-inch) meatballs. Place 1 inch apart on the pan.
Bake uncovered 20 minutes or until temperature reaches 160°F and no longer pink in the center.
- In the meantime, make the sauce. Add the tomato sauce with broth or water into a pot, mix, and bring to a boil.
- Peel the carrot, parsnip, and celery and cut them into smaller pieces.
- Add the veggies into the boiling sauce and cook covered for about 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are fork soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the veggies in the sauce until smooth.
- Add sweetener, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and pepper, stir, and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Taste and if needed add more salt or sweetener.
- Add the baked meatballs into the sauce to warm up and serve over your favorite pasta. I like to serve it over Hearts of Palm Pasta. Bon Appetit.