I made this Apple Cake while visiting my family in the Czech Republic and even though they do not follow a grain-free diet they all loved it!
This version of Apple Cake is basically the same as my Plum Poppy Seed Cake, except the apples are mixed into the dough instead of placed on top. The dough recipe is so versatile it can be used for any cake recipe or even muffins. My 15-year-old son always sneaks the recipe and uses it to make me a birthday cake every year! That’s how easy it is 🙂
All you need to make this Apple Cake:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Arrowroot or Tapioca flour
- Cassava flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Monk fruit sweetener & Monk fruit extract or a sweetener of your choice
- Coconut oil, ghee, or grass-fed butter
- Omega-3 or pastured eggs
- Full fat coconut milk
- Juice of a lemon
- Lemon peel from organic lemon
- Vanilla extract
- Regular 9″ glass or spring cake form
I like to oil the form with either coconut oil or melted butter using a brush and cover it with almond flour. This way the cake is easy to take out.
Easy Apple Cake
For the dough:
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot or tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup monk fruit sweetener
- 20 drops monk fruit extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp juice of a lemon
- 1 Tbsp lemon peel
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4-5 medium apples, peeled and cut
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add all flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Monk fruit sweetener into one bowl and mix.
- In a second mixing bowl whisk together coconut oil, coconut milk, eggs, Monk fruit extract, lemon juice, lemon peel, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while mixing.
- Wash, peel, and cut the apples into small cubes. Stir gently into the dough.
- Oil a 9″ round glass or springform with a little bit of oil or butter and cover with almond flour. Transfer the dough into the pan.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before cutting. You can leave the cake at room temperature for a maximum of two days, then refrigerate.