Are you looking for a unique and flavorful meal for your next BBQ? Try these Rosemary Skewers with pork, shallots, and mushrooms. They are not only healthy, but they are mouth-watering!
Studies have shown that rosemary is a rich source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Additionally, it has powerful antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties. If you consume rosemary regularly it can potentially help boost the immune system and improve blood circulation.
What You Will Need
For this recipe it’s best to use bigger and stronger rosemary sprigs. Rosemary needles are first removed from the sprigs leaving about 2″ on the top. The needles are then used for rosemary pesto in which you will marinate the meat in.
For 6 rosemary skewers:
- 6 long and strong rosemary springs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon peel from organic lemon
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 8 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb pastured pork butt or shoulder
- 8 shallots
- 9 baby bella mushrooms
- Avocado oil
- Begin by preheating your barbecue to 400°F. If you don’t have a grill, you can use a frying pan and sauté the skewers in oil.
- Remove the rosemary needles from the sprigs leaving about 2″ on top. Cut the ends of the skewers into a spike.
- Place the rosemary needles into a NutriBullet or food processor, add 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp lemon peel, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, and 8 Tbsp olive oil.
- Mix until smooth pesto forms. If the pesto is too thick add more oil.
- Transfer the pesto into a bowl.
- Cut the meat into 1″ cubes and add into the bowl with pesto. Mix and let the meat marinate for at least 10 minutes. In the meantime, cut the mushrooms and shallots in half.
- Thread the meat on a rosemary skewer, add half of a shallot, and half of a mushroom. Continue in this order until the skewer is filled up.
- Place on a barbecue tray with a little bit of Avocado oil and grill for about 10 minutes, turning halfway through. You can finish it by placing the skewers on the top rack of the barbecue for a few minutes. If you are not using a barbecue, fry the skewers in a pan with avocado oil.
- Serve with salad greens and with a grain free bun.